Thursday, June 10, 2010

rEVOLUTION of the mind

I believe, as Carl Jung did, that we all try to find our center. At different times in my life I thought I had it all figured out. Even today I try to convince myself that I have it all figured out. About a year ago I began forcing myself to question everything that I believed from God to politics to economics. And, what I learned is that I knew so little of what I questioned. What you learn about when you go seeking the truth is that along the way you end up in strange places.

Around the time of the presidential campaigns of 2008 and shortly after I became a father for the first time I began having premonitions of what the future held for my new family. And, having already being acquainted with the police State myself in my late teens and growing up in a household where I saw my parents struggle finding the funds for property taxes and quarterly taxes for my father's trucking business, I saw a bleak future of shrinking freedom and less prosperity. Already associating myself with the Libertarian Party, and with the minor success of the Ron Paul campaign to awaken some conservatives and libertarians alike, came the peak of American frustration known simply as the Tea Party.

My dearest friends and I organized two Tea parties. Trust me when I say that this movement in it's early stages was not organized by Republicans because It most certainly was not. In fact, it was not organized at all! It certainly was true that there existed a couple of websites where tea party organizers could simply list a time and a place for their event so that the masses could find that information on the internet, however there was no qualifications, no screening, or no political questionnaires. It was all quite risky to stick your neck out and organize something like a Tea Party. I had no idea how it may go, who would show up, or if people would come with pitchforks and torches. I was in a full panic leading up to the event because I honestly did not know what would happen. As a precaution I even called the police chief to let him know that I didn't want any trouble.

On April 15th, 2009 in Vandalia, Illinois I spoke at the Tea Party. I had my speech and the 200 or so people received it quite well. I had my picture taken. I was on the front page of some local newspapers. I was on the radio. I thought I had it all figured out.

For the second Tea Party, that was organized on July 4th of that same year, my friends and I decided to get more "organized". I can't begin to express the level of input this event took to organize the way it did. Each of us pulled some strings, spent a lot of money, took out ads, rented a porto-potty, got radio interviews, etc. I began researching the Declaration of Independence and writing my speech and something unexpected happened that made me stop and take notice. However, before I could really ponder the question further I was interrupted by more planning and that damn speech I had to make perfect.

It was raining most of the day on July 4th, 2009. We actually expected around 500 people to show but I would estimate the number that showed up was closer to 45. During our speeches, and due to the shear lack of attendance, we all started talking openly with each person having the ear of the whole party. What we quickly learned was that those in attendance were simply wanting to either vent their frustrations or tout their favorite politician who would make things all better. My friends and I organized the event so that we could begin to enlighten people on the perils of the never ending reciprocation of Republicans and Democrats that was destroying our great country. We wanted real change. We wanted them to join us in principle. We argued passionately and with the utmost logic to the cries of "Sarah Palin" and against our principle because it may split the vote of Republicans. The rain had cleared and the party was over but things had never been left so gloomy in my mind. I thought about how I had lost the attendees. Was I not logical? Was I not correct? Was I not passionate? Where did I go wrong? Where did they go wrong?

A couple of weeks went by and I had once again remembered the question that I had pondered after reading the Declaration of Independence. I thought about those inalienable rights and natures law. I thought about the suggestion of throwing off such governments after a long train of abuses and usurpation. I thought to myself, "This is the same thing that is happening today!". How could this be? If our founders created a small government that was bound by the constitution how did the same things that were discussed in the Declaration of Independence happen all over again? I had clearly lost my center.

To find some of the answers of my questions without bias I had decided to create a place in my mind where only I could venture into. A place where I was free, naked and alone. I had created this place that would take me wherever the truth took me no matter how crazy it seemed. I like to call my forced inquiry upon myself as my "house of mirrors". In a house of mirrors there are mirrors on the walls, on the ceiling, and on the floor. You cannot hide in a house of mirrors as you see yourself wherever you go. But, the same can be applied to your mind when you question every belief you hold. If you dare go into your mind to search for truth, just as in a house of mirrors, you cannot escape what you find. And, even if you disbelieve what you find in your house of mirrors and shatter every mirror you would deny the truth.

In my house of mirrors I had created many questions but had no capacity to answer the questions. I began examining what I considered to be outliers. I had remembered some rather radical things a good friend had injected at key periods of political discussions that I could not poke holes in. I remembered an acquaintance that seemed rather brilliant and open in his analysis of government and the root thereof. What did they know that I didn't?

I remember the exact moment it hit me. All of my thoughts and opinions had been shaped by a presupposition of consent. Furthermore, it had been forced upon me like a force of nature. I had agreed to nothing yet it was agreed for me. I remember sending a question to the acquaintance (now good friend) in response to his philosophy of anarchy and before I could ask I had answered my own question. In a matter of literally 2 seconds I went from limited government statist to full blown rejection of the State itself. Had I found my center again?

I had dared to seek the truth. And, I'll be the first to admit that the person 2 years ago would think the person I am today may be delusional. There is no doubt that many in general would find me to be short on meds, a brick short, or just plain ol' crazy. And, I understand their sentiment of mental health because I was once like them. I was once contained in a bubble of presupposition. I breathed as the country breathed. When it did bad, I did bad. When it did good, I did good. When it received criticism, I received criticism. When it needed defended I'd lay down my own life to defend it. Poor souls.

I came out of my house of mirrors knowing this today: I did not consent to anything. I was born free of any binding documentation, constitutions, treaties, and governments. I am me and I do not represent you. Likewise, you do not represent me. There is no authority over yourself unless you agree to that authority. You have a natural right to your life, to your liberty, your happiness, and to your property. I have already overthrown the government.

For now I have found my center again. It will go away, no doubt, from time to time. I revisit my house of mirrors constantly validating my position. I encourage you to visit your own house of mirrors in search of the truth and you may find yourself better for doing so.

2 comments:

  1. Nathan,
    Well written. Not much more I can add to this. It is as though I were watching a man wipe the sleep from his eyes; as if to leave the dream world behind and prepare himself for the light.

    Mark McCoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark (now good friend) haha.

    I owe you a bit of thanks for the "light".

    I screwed up on blogger.com and created multiple url's for each blog instead of picking 1 and posting on it several times. So, if you have some spare time and a high tolerance for bad grammar, check these other blogs out:

    http://socialpoweremergency.blogspot.com/
    http://uhmericastoryofus.blogspot.com/

    Hope to see you soon.

    Nathan

    ReplyDelete